There has been a noticeable change in mentality on the part of both the public in general and the authorities in favour of fostering the use of the bicycle. Its benefits, for health reasons as well as to protect the environment, justify the proliferation of related services, infrastructure and regulations.
You already know you can enjoy the Via de la Plata by bike and so, to make things easier, we have been preparing this section, intended as a guide for getting around the main centres of interest on the Route. The section includes all kinds of practical information that will allow you to enjoy these towns without getting off your saddle!
This section gives you access to the most interesting websites and materials, including the latest updated information on maps, services and events, even though you know that you have all the info on repair shops, rental companies and accommodation at www.larutaenbici.com/recursos to facilitate services for cyclists.
You can never be too careful when cycling in an urban setting, so do not forget to:
• Keep your bike in a good state of mechanical repair so that is responds properly and helps you avoid hazards.
• Make yourself seen by signalling: clearly signal all manoeuvres with your arm.
• Make yourself seen by your position: position yourself near the centre of the lane you are cycling on so that you are more visible.
• Choose the best lane for your destination and change lanes as early as possible.
• Use your rear-view mirror: look first and then manoeuvre.
• Anticipate events.